Major General Charles Grant Long, who was born 14 December 1869, at South Weymouth, Massachusetts, retired from the Marine Corps in December, 1921 after 30 years of service.

He graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1891, and was commissioned as second lieutenant in the Marine Corps on 1 July of that year. He attained the grade of brigadier general 29 August 1918, and during World War I served as assistant to the Major General Commandant.

Major General Long served in the Philippine, China, Cuba, Canal Zone, Hawaii, Nicaragua, Mexico and the Dominican Republic; at sea aboard the USS Baltimore, the USS Lancaster and the USS Maine, and at many Marine Corps posts in the United States.

During the war with Spain, as a first lieutenant, he served at Guantanamo, Cuba, and was made captain by brevet for meritorious services. During the Boxer Rebellion in China, he commanded a battalion at the battle of Tientsin and was commended in Navy Department orders.

He was promoted to major in 1905 and to lieutenant colonel in 1911. In 1912, Major General Long commanded Marine forces in the occupation of the city of Leon in the expedition to Nicaragua. He commanded a regiment during the occupation of Vera Cruz in 1914 and in 1915 was detailed as chief of staff of the brigade on duty in Haiti.

He was promoted to colonel 26 August 1916, and was designated assistant to the Major General Commandant on 4 September 1917. He conducted business of the office for a period during the absence of the commandant. Temporarily appointed brigadier general on 1 July 1918, he was confirmed permanently in that rank of 19 November 1918.

After the war he commanded the Second Marine Brigade on duty at Santo Domingo, winning the commendation of the military governor "for the loyal and efficient service of the brigade."

Major General Long's awards and decorations include: Brevet Medal, Cuba; Navy Cross; West Indian Medal (Sampson), Cuba; Spanish Campaign Medal, Cuba; Philippine Campaign Medal; China Campaign Medal; and Nicaraguan Campaign Medal.

He died 5 March 1943 at South Dartmouth, Massachusetts.

Assistant Commandants of the Marine Corps 

Marine Corps University