Middle East Studies
Envisioned in 2007 as an open-source PME resource on Iran for MCU and fleet commanders and expanded to align with Marine Corps needs and requirements, the Middle East Studies at Marine Corps University (MES) serves as the Marine Corps’ center of expertise on the Greater Middle East, to include parts of South and Central Asia and the Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea regions, to deepen the Marine Corps’ understanding of these critical regions through professional military education and to link the Marine Corps to the broader academic, intergovernmental, and international communities of knowledge and practice in Middle Eastern studies. Middle East Studies (MES) accomplishes this mission by:
- Analyzing and assessing current events, regional trends, U.S. foreign policy decisions and strategies, and the cultural and historical complexities and interconnectivity of these regions;
- Conducting and publishing academic research;
- Developing curriculum and delivering classes, supporting student papers and masters theses, and offering lectures and discussions to MCU schools and other U.S. Armed Forces professional military education institutions and onboard U.S. naval vessels;
- Hosting lectures and seminars on board MCU;
- Providing lectures and discussions to other U.S. government agencies, foreign governments and militaries, including NATO schools, and academia;
- Representing the MCU at seminars and professional forums related to MES’s areas of responsibility by participation and professional engagement;
- Building relationships and networks with sister service PME institutions and the broader academic, intergovernmental, and international communities of knowledge and practice in Middle Eastern studies;
- Developing and maintaining the academic expertise to ensure the Marine Corps has a flexible, proactive asset as the needs and requirements of the Corps in the region evolve; and
- Hosting and mentoring MCU international fellows, external interns, and Marines assigned to MES.
MES Insights Vol.12, I.2 (April 2021)
In this issue:
"Israeli-Emirati Relations and the Iranian Challenge"
by Dr. Ehud Eilam
MES Insights Vol.12, I.1 (February 2021)
In this issue:
"Projecting Power: Proto-State-Building by Sunni Islamist Rebel Groups."
by Christopher Anzalone