A) Day One: Defining and Explaining Team Building
Session One: What is a Team?
Purpose: Students are provided with an opportunity to explore and discuss the importance and power of work teams in our federal agencies during this seminar session. Session One will focus on better understanding the meaning of teams, what are the characteristics of effective teams, and the advantages and disadvantages of using teams in the workplace.
1. Explain the meaning of team
2. Describe characteristics of effective teams
3. Understand the advantages and disadvantages of a team
Session Two: Leading a Team
Purpose: Students are provided with an opportunity to explore and discuss how to build and sustain team leader qualities and abilities when leading work teams in federal agencies. Session Two will focus on understanding what makes an effective team leader; examine qualities of a team leader, and developing an action plan for building oneself into an effective team leader.
1. Comprehend and explain what a Team Leader is
2. Define and describe Team Leader qualities
3. Build and apply an action plan to becoming an effective Team Leader
B) Day Two: Building and Communicating within Teams
Session Three: Build Teams
Purpose: Students are provided with an opportunity to explore and discuss the importance and power of work teams in our federal agencies during this seminar session. Session Three will focus on better understanding the type of team needed in the work place; the responsibilities and roles of team members, the stages of team development, team dynamics and dysfunctions of teams.
1. Determining the type of team needed
2. Understanding roles of team members
3. Analyzing the stages of team development
- Examine dysfunctions of teams
Session Four: Communicating in a Team
Purpose: Students are provided with an opportunity to explore and discuss the importance and power of work teams in our federal agencies during this seminar session. Session Four will focus on effective communication used in teams. Key is the role the leader plays in communicating with clarity and purpose.
- Define and describe Team communication
- Apply the art of Listening and Brainstorming
- Understand the importance and application of Electronic Mediated Communication
C) Day Three: Ethics and Reflections of Leadership Development
Session Five: Ethics and Teams
Purpose: The purpose of this session is to analyze the role of ethics and values as they relate to a team leader in the workplace. The primary outcome of this session is to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to make ethical decisions and to serve the Marine Corps professionally and clarifying their individual ethical framework in reference to the Marine Corps and the Government Employee Code of Ethics. The goal is to help the student recognize and act appropriately when facing ethical dilemmas as a team leader.
1. Understand and explain Team ethics
2. Understand and explain ethical Team leadership
3. Writing an individual reflective summary of the course—Lead Teams (content and future application)
Session Six: Reflections on Lead Teams
Purpose: This session affords students the opportunity to self-assess their learning during the seminar and determine how they will apply that new knowledge in their futures. Their thoughts will be shared and discussed with the seminar.
1. Identify concepts learned and collaborate to develop a group presentation
2. Reflect on skills learned to enhance continuous self-awareness and team leadership