History and Educational Philosophy
The Expeditionary Warfare School was originally established at Quantico as the Company Grade Officers Course in 1921, renamed the Amphibious Warfare School Junior Course in the 1930s, and in 1964 renamed as Amphibious Warfare School. For Academic Year 2003 the school was reorganized by merging Amphibious Warfare School and the Command and Control Systems Course and redesignated Expeditionary Warfare School (EWS). EWS challenges students to think critically as MAGTF officers by providing them with a firm doctrinal foundation, augmented with the exchange of practical experiences, and reinforced with extensive practical application and numerous planning exercises. The majority of learning occurs in the conference group, which consists of approximately 16 captains of various military occupational specialties (MOS), military services, and nationalities. Each conference group is mentored by a seasoned major, who acts as the Faculty Advisor (FACAD). Throughout the academic year, the FACAD models tactical, technical, and professional MAGTF officer skills, mentors and guides students, facilitates conference group discussions, and assesses student performance.