Solicitation of Interest
Director, U.S. Marine Corps History Division
Excepted Service AD-09
Initial Salary Range $144,067 to $149,462
This is a solicitation of interest to create a pool of candidates to fill an excepted service Administratively Determined position at Marine Corps University (MCU), Quantico, Virginia. The purpose of this AD-09 position is to serve as Director, U.S. Marine Corps History Division (HD).
The Director, HD reports directly to the President, MCU/Commanding General, Education Command. As Director, the incumbent serves as the Chief Historian for the Marine Corps and is the principal advisor to the President, MCU on all policy, professional, technical, and administrative matters pertaining to U.S. Marine Corps historical programs. This position is located in Quantico, VA.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the Historical Branch through two branch heads consisting of the Histories Branch (10 civilian personnel) and the Archives Branch (10 civilian personnel), also supervises the Individual Mobilization Augmentee Detachment.
- Supervises the production of all HD projects, including current and special studies, long term histories, and oral history interviews.
- Assigns projects to history writing members, guiding them in their development of the planning, coverage, and emphasis in research and writing.
- Provides guidance and oversight in the formulation of strategic plans and policies pertaining to historical support throughout the Marine Corps.
- Advises the Commandant of the Marine Corps on historical background relevant to events and projected actions impacting the Marine Corps.
- Plans, directs, and participates in the preparation of material for publication of current studies for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps, and other governmental agencies.
- Provides a full range of historical support to Marine Corps fleet and supporting establishment commands, agencies, field historical offices, and schools.
- Supports MCU and professional military education by serving from time to time on an as needed basis as an Adjunct Professor of Military History.
- Serves as a member of the MCU Accreditation Leadership Team and the MCU President’s Planning Council.
Must possess knowledge and experience with Marine Corps operations and culture corresponding to 15 years of Marine Corps experience in order to provide the operational relevance of history to senior leaders and to the broader Marine Corps. A demonstrated record of leadership and research publication excellence in military history with an emphasis on Marine Corps history. Experience in leading diverse organizations. Experience with research techniques, tools, and databases. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Candidates must demonstrate significant potential for writing professional and critical history and be willing to teach history related courses on an as needed basis at MCU to a predominately military student body.
- Must possess an earned doctorate from an institution accredited by a Department of Education recognized institutional accrediting agency in history or a related subject within 12 months of employment. Selectees who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance.
- This position requires a drug test and is subject to random testing.
- This position requires travel not to exceed 10%.
How to Apply
The initial term of appointment is expected to be three years if the candidate possesses a PhD or one year if the candidate is all but dissertation with provision for renewal. The first year of employment is probationary. Interested applicants must submit the following via email to email@example.com no later than June 6, 2021.
- Cover letter
- Updated CV/Resumé
- Contact information for three academic/professional references
- Provide a record of scholarly publication
Questions about the position can also be sent to the email address above. Email is the preferred method of delivery. Alternatively, applicants can submit their application materials to the following postal address:
Marine Corps University
2076 South Street
Quantico, VA 22134
The Marine Corps University is dedicated to equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion.