Colonel John “JT” Russell serves as both the General George C. Kenney, United States Air Force Chair and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Chair to Marine Corps University. He is responsible for all Air Force faculty and students assigned to the five colleges and five supporting activities of the university and teaches as a faculty member of the Marine Corps War College in the Department of National Security and Joint Warfighting.
Colonel Russell is a 1988 graduate of Washington University in St Louis where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. He is a command pilot with more than 5,500 flying hours including more than 1000 hours of combat and combat support.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Russell served as Deputy Director for Program Management Activities in the Directorate for Joint Force Development (J7) of the Joint Staff.
Areas of Interest:
- Airpower/Air Operations
- USAF History
- Joint Operations
- Joint Force Development
- Command and Control
- DoD Policy Development
- Strategic Guidance
- Civ/Mil Relations
- 1988 Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, Washington University in St Louis, Mo.
- 1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2001 Master of Arts degree in Education, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Ariz.
- 2001 Master of Arts degree in Military Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2009 Master of Science degree in Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, RI