Dr. James G. Lacey serves as professor and course director for War, Policy, and Strategy, as well as Political Economy at the Marine Corps War College.
Prior to coming to the War College he spent six years at the Institute for Defense Analyses Vice President, working on a number of projects dealing with the economics of war, the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, strategic communications, and long-term US strategic policy.
He was an active duty military officer for twelve years, serving in the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions, and United States Army Europe Headquarters. He retired from the Army Reserves in 2005, after 24 years of service.
He has extensive experience in several Wall Street firms focusing on “capital market operations.” Dr. Lacey is a successful professional journalist with columns in the NY Post and NY Sun for almost two years. He was a journalist with Time Magazine and was an embedded reporter during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He is extensively published in financial, military and opinion journals.
In addition, Dr. Lacey has taught courses at Georgetown and Johns Hopkins Universities. He has also lectured and conducted seminars at numerous academic and policy institutions across the country.
Mr. Lacey holds a Bachelor of Arts in History from The Citadel and a Ph.D. in Military History from Leeds University. His dissertation was on the economic underpinnings of U.S. strategy in World War II
- Iraqi Perspective Project (co-author) USNI 2006
- Takedown - Invasion of Iraq USNI 2007
- Terrorist Perspective Project USNI 2008
- Global Jihad USNI 2008
- Cannons of Jihad USNI 2008
- Pershing – A biography Palgrave-McMillian 2008
-The Making of Peace (co-editor) Cambridge 2009
- Keep from All Thoughtful Men USNI 2011
(Economics of WW II)
- The Patterns of Grand Strategy (co-editor) Cambridge 2011
- The First Clash: The Greco-Persian Wars Random House 2011
- The Moment of Battle Random House 2013
- Great Strategic Rivalries Oxford 2016
(Great Power Competition)
- The Washington War (Forthcoming) Random House May 2018
(FDR and his War Cabinet)
- The Gods of War (Forthcoming) Random House Dec 2018
Dr. Lacey is also the author of over a hundred articles and studies on history, strategy, economics, global events, etc.